For those of in generation X and Y (still wonder how in the word my generation was named by a seemingly random letter), we joke often on today's youth reaction to the concept of actually turning their cell phone. I usually get the response, "but I don't know how?" We kid these youngsters but have a similar possessive relationship to our phone and its access to the grand world of social media. While technology has changed greatly over the decades, the desired etiquette and decorum for guests at special guest has remained remarkably consistent. So avoid the accessions of "rude, crude, and socially unacceptable" (my grandmother's go-to line when someone did not displayed proper social grace), follow these ten rules outlined by a wedding master, Cole Drake, of Napa, California's Cole Drake Events.
1. Be sure to let your friends and family know how you feel about the use of social media. As a simple example, it would be a good idea to let your guests know that you want to keep the ceremony to yourself, family and close friends. After all, this is the moment that it’s all about. You don’t want your guests to miss you tying the knot while they’re looking at their phone or tablet screen
2. Using a hashtag during your wedding is the perfect way to include your guests into the wedding festivities as well as letting you see photographs after the big event. Develop a unique and fun hashtag that will let your guests post tweets and Instagram pictures to. Encourage them by using a unique and creative hashtag sign.
3. Collect and save Instagram photos, tweets and memories in one place after the wedding. There are some great tools to collect them all, be sure to back them up! (We personally recommend Mine Forever or WedPics.)
4. Take full advantage of social media to easily reach your friends and family to inform them of any last minute changes. You can also use it to help keep your friends up to date with even the smallest details!
5. Cheesy as it may sound, take some selfies! You read it right, take a few selfies along the way. Capture your own moments throughout the process, whether it is while you are putting together your registry or showing off a simple countdown, you can be sure to share your experiences with your guests to keep the excitement moving! Be sure not to overdo it. though. It’s your wedding so enjoy the best day of your life unplugged to be in touch with everything and everybody around you.
6. Don’t spoil the most exciting surprises on social media in preparation of your wedding. We agree that it’s cool to share your experiences, but it will not be nearly as exciting when everybody already knows exactly what’s going to happen. Point and case, keep a few things private!
7. You don’t want to be on your phone all day. You and your new other half are there to live the moment and enjoy the day and the days leading up to it. Try to stay off your phone and just have fun!
Click here to continue reading about the three remaining social media tips! Make sure you check out our other post on the photo sharing app, Mine Forever. Also, please pass along this helpful information by clicking on the "share button" below to share this post to your social media accounts.
For more helpful tips and everything events, please check blog.eventcompass.co daily!
EventCompass: Professional Event Planning Tools That Save You Time